Saturday, July 10, 2010

Learned VS Learnt

What is the difference between "learned" and "learnt", and when should one be used instead of the other?

The *prescriptive* answer is:
"learned" should used in phrases such as "a learned professor", in which case it is pronounced with two syllables.
"learnt" should be used in phrases like "I learnt a valuable lesson today".

The *descriptive* answer in British English is:
"learned" is used in phrases such as "a learned professor", in which case it is pronounced with two syllables.
Either "learnt" or "learned" are used interchangably in phrases like "I learnt a valuable lesson today".

The *descriptive* answer in American English is:
There is no such word as "learnt". Use "learned" always.

Or to put it another way:

Active verb in the past tense: I learned French.
Past participle: I have learnt French.

This word is going through change. The word "cookt" used to exist.

Active verb: I cooked a pie
Participle: I have cookt a pie.

However, "cookt" is now obselete. I fear "learned" is going the same as we all confuse "leanrt" and "learned".

Learned (meaning educated) is an adjective in its own right (like "intelligent").

That's all folks. next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...